A Slaw of a Different Color!
Using shredded broccoli with other veggies makes a delicious, refreshing slaw that is perfect for those who want to add more variety to their salad options.
- 2 cups Broccoli Shredded—you can use already shredded broccoli stalks.
- 2 cups Cabbage Shredded—already prepared. Red or green.
- 1/2 cup Onions Chopped—sweet onions or scallions, your choice.
- 1 cup Celery Chopped, or replace with 1 tsp. of celery seeds.
- 1/4 cup Raisins Or low-sugar, dried cranberries.
- 1/8 cup Slivered almonds Optional
- 2/3 cup Light Mayonnaise I use light Vegan mayonnaise.
- 4 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar Regular vinegar is okay if you don't have apple cider vinegar.
- 2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- Garlic Salt To taste.
- 1 Tbsp. Spicy Brown Mustard Optional. (We like mustard in our house!)
- Salt & Pepper To taste.
For ease of this recipe, buy the already shredded Broccoli, Cabbage and Carrots!
Thinly slice, then cross cut the Onion into small pieces. (You can also buy these already diced, if you wish).
Slice celery lengthwise into 3 or 4 slices and then hold together slice across width wise making small pieces. ( You can also buy these already diced if you wish).
In a large bowl, blend all the vegetables together.
Prepare the dressing.
Mix the dressing into the vegetables until well coated.
Toss in the raisins and slivered almonds
Serve and enjoy!
I always have fun with salad recipes of all kinds as there are so many options. Slaws can be made with a wide variety of ingredients as well. If you use a cabbage base, then you will make a traditional coleslaw. By making your slaw base out of shredded broccoli stalks, you add vitamins, minerals and a dark green vegetable full of antioxidants. You'll also up your important fiber intake! I also love to add kale to the slaw for another great dark green modification.
For a quick slaw, use store-prepared shredded veggies to keep it simple ... then build from there! You can get almost all of the veggies pre-shredded, and then make the dressing and add raisins, dried cranberries, or slivered almond for an added crunch.
Nutritional Value: 1 Serving (~1.5c) - 139 Calories; 7g Fat; 0 Cholesterol; 208mg Sodium; 17.5g Carbs- 4g Fiber -10.4g Sugars; 2.6g Protein