A deliciously refreshing Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is a great addition to a summer meal filled with protein and fiber.
The salad holds its own as a meal in itself, making it a low calorie meal.
It is loaded with juicy Cherry Tomatoes, Chickpeas, Cucumbers, Feta Cheese, Tofu and Mint. All these ingredients are chocked full of healthy nutrients, vitamins and protein!
I hope you will add this crisp salad to your summer menu!
To Healthy Eating!
Chickpea Mediterranean Style Salad
- 1 1/2 cups Chickpeas if not from a can, soak for 5hr or overnight. Rinse super well before cooking. Simmer until done.
- 1/2 lemon Juiced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 cups cherry tomatoes Slice in half
- 2 med Cucumbers
- 1/2 Red Onion thinly sliced
- 2 small sprigs Mint
- 1/4 cup Feta Cheese Optional; diced or crumbled.
- 1 tsp. Red pepper flakes Optional
- Baked Tofu or grilled Chicken Optional: additional proteins - Diced
- 1-2 tbsps 100% maple syrup If you want to add a bit of sweetness
- If using fresh Chickpeas: Soak overnight, or in hot water for 2-3hrs. The more they soak the better to soften and breakdown to make more digestible. Place in boiling water and simmer until soft.
- If using canned Chickpeas: Drain and rinse well. Place in the salad bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, juice of a half lemon and the maple syrup. Set aside.
- Slice cucumbers into about 1/2 inch thick slices. Red onions in half and then sliced thinly. Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Pull Mint leaves from the sprigs.
- Transfer all the vegetables in with the bowl with the chickpeas. Add the dressing, and toss gently.
- Add your extra proteins if desired: Diced grilled tofu or chicken.
- Add optional Feta Cheese and red pepper flakes.