The hot days of July are here. No one wants to be cooking in a hot kitchen. This month’s cooking is on lighter dishes using Sweet Corn and refreshing Summer Salads. The recipes are easy to make, light and full of healthy ingredients!
First dish up in the Power of 5 Test Kitchen is a A Mexican Corn dish – Elote we discovered and loved since we ate it at a Mexican restaurant in Sedona, AZ.
A blend of grilled corn, added to a whisked cream sauce made from a sour cream, mayo, spicy Jack/cheddar cheese (or Cotija cheese ( a Feta) or Queso fresco (a white Mexican cheese made from raw cow and goat milk), lemon juice, lime zest, dash chili powder, and scallion or minced onion & salt to taste.
Sound familar? Remember the Mexican Street Corn on the Cob I posted to The Power of 5 Test Kitchen Instagram acct a few weeks ago? The two recipes are almost identical . . . accept off the cob! Either one – on or off the cob shouldn’t be missed!
The recipe can be modified to uses all dairy-free ingredients….pared with a veggie burger & kale salad…delicious!
To Healthy Eating,
Elote - A Mexican Corn Dish
- 4 ears Corn on the Cob Can also use canned corn saute on the stove top until well browned
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise If Vegan - Veganaise brand or Mayo made with Avocado Oil.
- 2 tbsp Sour cream Non-dairy substitutes - Tofutti, Follow Your Heart, or Foragers Brands are all good.
- 1 Scallion sliced
- 3/4 cups Cotija Cheese, crumbled A feta cheese, Jack cheese can also be used - there are several vegan replacements - VioLife is very close in taste. Or a vegan cheddar cheese works as well.
- 1/4 tsp Lime Zest
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- Pinch Chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- Grill corn, turning occasionally, until highly charred and tender. About 8-12 min.
- While the corn in grilling, in a medium bowl, whisk the mayo, sour cream, scallions, cheese, lime zest, lime juice and salt.
- Once corn is grilled, let cool a bit before you cut the kernels off the cobs.
- Add to the whisked mixture and toss to combined.