Pad Thai has always been one of my favorite dishes when going out for thai food. Since becoming a Vegan 4yrs ago now, I have been working to find a recipe I could modify to meet our lifestyle and taste like the orignial. I think I finally perfected this recipe this time around! Additionally, I offer some modifications to “skinny down” the recipe a bit…check it out below ⇓ under the Melissa’s Modification section!
My recipe starts out with seared tofu and builds from there. Give it a try!
To Healthy Eating!
Veggie Pad Thai with Tofu
- 8 oz Pad Thai Noodles Or subsitute Zucchini Noodles
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 oz Tofu Extra Firm tofu, pan roasted.
- 4 tbsps Just Eggs Egg Substitute - Scrambled; or 2 Eggs if you eat them
- 1 cup Bean Sprouts Fresh
- 1 red Pepper Thinly sliced
- 3 Green onions Chopped
- 1/2 cup Dry Roasted peanuts
- 2 Limes
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro
Pad Thai Sauce
- 2 tbsps Low Sodium Soy Sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 5 tbsp brown sugar Light; or use Palm Sugar
- 3 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce Add more to taste if you want it hotter!
- 2 tbsp Creamy Peanut Butter Alternative Peanut Butter Powder, less fat & calories
- 4 oz Snow Pea Pods
- Optional *Tamarind
- Cook Noodles according to package instructions, just until tender, rinse under cold water.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together. Set Aside.
- Tofu - Even the firm/extra firm tofu has moisture...Be sure to press excess liquid out of Tofu with papertowels before slicing to pan sear in oil and liquid aminos.
- Over medium heat 1- 1/2 tablespoons of oil and/or 1 tbsp of liquid Aminos in a sauce pan and place the sliced firm Tofu to brown on each side. Cook about 5-6 minutes until nicely browned on both sides. After cooked, break into smaller cube pieces.
- Push everything aside and add a little more oil and add Just Eggs to scramble, break into pieces.
- Add bean sprouts, snow pea pods, onions and sauce mixture and peanuts in the pan, reserve some peanuts for the top garnish.
- Add noodles to the all ready cooking mixture. Carefully mix everything together, this will blend & combine all flavors for a super yummy and flavorful dish.
- Top with chopped green onions, extra peanuts, cilantro and lime wedges.