Kale is all the rage … Why?
Kale is the super healthy, green leafy vegetable that is a member of the cabbage family and packed with nutrition. There are many different types of kale. We are most familiar with the green leaf kale, but kale can have purple leaves, and either a smooth or curly shape.
One cup of raw kale contains 33 calories, 6 grams of carbs (2 of which are fiber) and 3 grams of protein. The vitamins and minerals can’t be beaten!
- Vitamins A, C, and K
- B6 vitamin (key for brain development), Vitamin B1 (thiamine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
- Omega-3 fatty acid
- Manganese, Calcium, Copper, Potassium and Magnesium
Since we love kale in our home, it is always the basis of my salads for added health benefits. Perfect for the Power of 5 lifestyle! The following delicious kale salad recipe is a base stand-alone salad to which you can add a piece of grilled fish, chicken or tofu for added protein. Your choice!
Versatile Kale Salad
- 4 bunches (1lb) Leafy Green Kale Remove stems, chiffonade (stack leaves, roll them and slice thinly creating thin ribbons)
- 1 cups Parmesan cheese, low fat If you do not eat dairy, use plant-based parmesan cheese
- 3 bunches Scallions, finely chopped (2cups) A sweet onion can be used as well, finely chopped.
- 6 stalks Hearts of Palms, sliced width wise (2cups) You can omit if you do not like hearts of palm. These are very filling and low cal.
- 1 cup Raisins You can also use currents or golden raisins if you prefer
- 1 cups Pine nuts, toasted ( or sunflower seeds) Spread on tin foil and toast in a small oven or toast in a pan, keep and eye out as pine nuts burn easily
- 4 6 oz sizes Grilled Chicken Breasts, Fish or Tofu Optional protein
- 1 cup Squeezed Lemons
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- Himalyan Pink Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper To taste
- Remove stems from the kale and chiffonade the leaves to make thin ribbons or tear into bite-size pieces. Add cheese, scallions, and raisins into salad mix. Add all the dressing ingredients together and toss into the kale salad. If you are adding protein, season with your favorite spices. Use the outdoor grill or stovetop to grill the chicken, fish or tofu to taste. Layer on top of salad and serve.
- 248 Calories
- 14.9g Fat
- 5.2 g Protein
- 19.1 g Carbs (3.4g Fiber)
- 252 Calories
- 5.8g Fat
- 50.2 g Protein
- 0 Carbs
- 321 Calories
- 14g Fat
- 0 Carbs
- 26g Protein
- 340 Calories
- 27g Fat
- 10.8 Carbs
- 13.2g Protein