A flexible recipe to meet everyone’s food choices! Love to eat with your fingers? This dish is for you!
Substitute Tofu instead of chicken, use plant-based chicken, OR eliminate the meat altogether and expand the veggies.
Mediterranean Chicken (or Tofu) Lettuce Wrap Tacos
- 12 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 4-inch-long, 1-inch-thick strips OR replace with plain baked tofu cut in small squares. Substitute if you wish.
- 2 tsp. Mediterranean spice Blend of spices, garlic, chile peppers, thyme, mustard seed, etc...You can buy already made like Zaatar Spice, Hissop Spice or make your own!
- 1 tbsp. of each of the following: dried basil, dried oregano & coarse salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup of each of the following; vinaigrette, balsamic vinegar, red-wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Soy sause
- 1 1/2 tsp. Chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. Chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. of each coarse salt & ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 leaves Romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup Tzatziki non-dairy sour cream with chopped chives and cucumbers is delicious!
- 4 chopped Roma tomatoes
- 12 kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 12 Butter lettuce leaves This will make your lettuce taco cups to add the ingredients
- 1 1/2 oz crumbled feta cheese omit if you do not eat dairy
- Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Season chicken or tofu with 1 tsp. Mediterranean spice and place on grill. Cook, basting with balsamic vinaigrette and turning once, until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Season chicken/tofu with remaining tsp. Mediterranean spice and remove from grill; set aside.
- Place shredded romaine lettuce and red onions in a medium bowl; drizzle with red-wine vinaigrette and toss to combine. Divide mixture evenly among butter lettuce leaves and drizzle each with 1 tsp. tzatziki.
- Add top of shredded lettuce in each butter lettuce taco cup with 1 piece of chicken/tofu and garnish with chopped tomatoes, feta cheese, and olives. Season with parsley, basil, and oregano; serve. This is a very versatile recipe that can easily be adapted based on your eating preferences.