There are so many delicious recipes for the holidays I am having a fun time picking out some of my favorites for you to consider cooking for the holidays. Most everyone knows how to make a turkey or ham, so I am going to focus on hearty main or side dishes and desserts. I am going to start with a Hearty Moroccan Stew that brings beautiful flavors together of quinoa (lentils or couscous), chickpeas and spices…a hearty dish for a starter or main dish…it is delicious!
Moroccan cuisine is typically a mix of Arabic, Andalusian (Spanish) and Mediterranean cuisines with a slight European and Subsaharan influence. Because of these influences, this dish is so versatile you can add meat making a Moroccan Beef Stew, Vegetable Tagine Stew, Lentil Stew…you can be creative. I have offered some variations and suggestions of alternatives based on your tastes!
To Healthy Eating,
Hearty Moroccan Stew
- 1 package Harissa Tofu Cubes (Hodo Foods) You may leave out or replace Tofu with Cooked chicken, beef or lamb.
- 1 15oz chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 15oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa You can replace with Couscous. lentils
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth You can replace with chicken or beef stock.
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers (optional)
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 lb Apricots or Prunes Add a little sweetness...Optional to your taste
- Add all ingredients to large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over med-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to med-low, cooking for an additional 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with steamed greens, roasted potatoes, or salad. Allow to cool completely and store in air-tight container in refrigerator for up to a week or double the recipe and put in the freezer.