“Having Good Health is Up to You“… Dr. Bernstein’s clearly believes and states in his book The Power of 5: The Ultimate Formula for Longevity and Remaining Youthful.
We all have so many eating preferences, tastes, likes, dislikes and a multitude of choices we can go when it comes to what we eat. The beginning of a new year is filled with promise and hope that we can reach or maintain the goals we have set for ourselves. Find a healthy eating plan and stick to it. Dr. B has always recommended a Mediterranean Diet. According to U.S. News and Works Report, the tried-and-true Mediterranean diet rises to take the top honor. We couldn’t be happier with this validation for our patients and followers.
A personal staple of our diet is a powerful protein shake/smoothie. It gets us off to a great start each morning. Smoothies come in all varieties as well … so beware as they can easily contain lots of sugar and lots of calories. Here are the basics so you can have a healthy, delicious smoothie every time. I will provide lots of options with this smoothie recipe. Dust off your blender and mix-up a powerful smoothie for breakfast, lunch or a snack!
Keep in mind the basics … 1/2 c liquid, 1 c of frozen banana, 1/2 c frozen fruit, 1/3 c of protein, and some extra healthy seeds!
Delicious Healthy Smoothies with Options!
- 1/2 cup liquid Unsweetened almond, cashew, rice, soy, hemp milk, low-fat milk, coconut water, water
- 1 cup Frozen sliced Banana
- 1/2 cup Frozen Fruit Blueberries, cherries, strawberries, pineapple, mango, apples, rasberrries, blackberries, grapes
- 1/3 cup protein powder Your choice; Pea protein powder if you are Vegan; other proteins such as whey if you eat dairy.
- 1 cup Greens Kale or baby spinach
- 1 tbsp Healthy Bonus Chia Seeds, flaxseeds or nut butters for healthy fats and a little more protein
- Throw all items in the blender, blend until the desired consistency. Add more water if it gets too thick.
- Pour in a mason jar (my favorites storage containers for smoothies and soups) cover and go!