It’s Fall … Halloween is right around the corner. A festive and fun meal to prepare this time of year, and is relatively easy to make is baking dinner in a Pumpkin! Dinner in a Pumpkin makes a very hearty and flavorful dinner in a self-contained casserole.
The beauty is as the ingredients cook together the pumpkin insides soften it makes a completely savory meal. This recipe has several of Melissa’s Modifications to make it Vegetarian or Vegan and gluten free.’
Fall Dinner in a Pumpkin
- 1 medium Pumpkin You can use smaller pumpkins so each has their own
- 1 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil May use butter or vegan butter
- 1 small Onion Diced
- 1 cup Fresh Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 lbs Lean Ground Beef Use Beefless Grounds or other meat substitutes
- 1/2 cups Fresh Green Beans Cut
- 15 oz Vegetable Broth May use chicken broth if you prefer
- 2 tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos May also substitute soy sauce
- 2 cups Rice: White or Brown Cooked. (I used quinoa, see Cook's notes below)
- Fresh Basil or Oregano Optional spices
- Cinnamon or Nutmeg Optional spices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Thoroughly wash and dry the outside of the pumpkins.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin and clean out the pulp and seeds. Keep the top.
- Don't miss out on roasting the seeds - spray a foiled cookie sheet with olive oil and spread the seeds. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions, mushrooms and green beans in oil or butter. Add ground beef (or plant-based crumbles). Drain grease if using ground beef.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- In a large bowl, mix soup, nutritional yeast, and Braggs Aminos (or soy sauce).
- Add meat and cooked rice or quinoa.
- Empty bowl into the cleaned out pumpkins and replace the top.
- Bake on the lower rack of the oven.
- After 1 hour, remove the top and check the sides of the pumpkin for doneness. The outside of pumpkin will turn a beautiful dark orange.
- Depending on the size of the pumpkin, it may take an additional 10-15 minutes. I made two smaller individual pumpkins so they didn't need the extra time.
- Using hot pads, place pumpkins onto serving plates, remove the "lids" and stir. Scoop chunks from the pumpkin's insides into the casserole dish as it is served.