Quinoa is the grain of choice in our household. I cook a pot of quinoa every other week and use it with a variety of veggies and beans. I also add it to soups or casseroles.
Recently we attended the Healthy Eating Potluck Buffet, sharing healthy plant-based foods hosted at our Temple. Everyone brought a different healthy dish. This was the recipe I brought and came home with an empty dish! If you do not follow a plant-based diet, I provide many options under Melissa’s Modifications to my recipes following a Mediterranean eating lifestyle, as recommended by Dr. Bernstein in the Power of 5 Formula.
Quinoa with Tomatoes & Beans
- 1 cup Tricolored Quinoa Dry, Organic (You can substitute the quinoa with rice if you prefer, though it does not offer the same levels of protein or fiber.)
- 1 15 oz. can Diced tomatoes Organic
- 1 10 oz. Super Bean Mix Organic (includes soybeans, chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans) Find these pre-made at Costco, or make your own from dry beans or canned organic beans with no salt.
- 1-2 tbsp. Braggs Liquid Aminos To taste
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth -Organic
- 1 small Onion Diced
- Seasonings of choice Everything But the Bagel, curry, pepper, etc.
- Cook quinoa – 1 cup dry to 2 cups liquid. I choose to use veggie broth as the liquid to cook the quinoa.
- Sauté onions in 1 tbsp of Braggs Liquid Aminos and if you need more liquid, use a little water. Sauté until slightly browned.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, add in and toss together the onions, chopped tomatoes and beans. Season as desired.