Berries and other fruits are packed with fiber and rich in Vitamins C and E as well as essential minerals. Berries in particular (such as blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and more) are full of antioxidants called anthocyanins.
What Are Anthocyanins?
Anthocyanins are a type of flavonoid (flavonoids are phytonutrients or plant chemicals found in most fruits and vegetables) that make up the red, purple, black, and blue colors of different berries. This is influenced by pH levels. Anthocyanins also act as antioxidants. They fight free radicals, and there is additional evidence that they may offer anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-cancer benefits!
Other Produce Has Benefits Too
Citrus fruits, such as oranges, lemons and limes, are rich in Vitamin C. Kiwifruits, broccoli, tomatoes, and red peppers are also great sources of Vitamin C to add to your daily diet.
Be sure to include a healthy portion of these delicious and nutritious fruits and berries to your daily menu. They have an abundance of health benefits!
To Healthy Eating!
Fresh Fruit & Berry Salad
- 8 oz Strawberries Sliced
- 6 oz Blueberries
- 6 oz Blackberries
- 6 oz Raspberries
- 2 Kiwifruit Peeled and sliced
- 1 - 2 sprig Mint Fresh, whole leaves or chopped
- 1/4 cup Dark Chocolate Chips Melted (optional)
- Choose the berries for your salad
- Wash and gently pat dry to remove excess water
- Place all berries ( and Kiwifruit if you use) of choice in a bowl and gently mix
Dark Chocolate Dip
- If you have a double boiler pan, fill the pan with water, turn stove top burner on medium- high heat and let boil.
- Place chips in the top portion, place on top of pan and stir until melted.
- If you use a microwave: place chocolate chips in a microwave safe dish, heat for 1-2 minutes, stir every after each 30 secs until fully melted
- Drizzle over the berries salad over individual serving bowls and enjoy!