Baked Veggie Pasta is a family favorite and inspired from a childhood restaurant. Growing up in Buffalo, NY, our favorite italian restaurant of our families is the one my grandparents took us to on Sundays.
Chef’s Italian restaurant in downtown Buffalo, was established in 1923, (the year before my 96 year old was born!) this family run restaurant special dish called baked spaghetti.
My recipe this week is inspired by Chef’s! Melissa’s Modifications applied….It was delicious!
To Healthy Eating,
Melissa's Baked Veggie Pasta
- 12 oz Spagetti Pasta I use either Angel Hair or Red Lentil Pasta
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes I prefer Organic
- 1 medium Onion Sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup mushrooms Chopped
- 3 cups Marinara I prefer Organic
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese I use plant-based mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups Beefless ground beef Plant-based Gardein brand; or use lean ground beef
- Boullion Vegetable Better than Boullion (no-Chicken)
- 1 large egg I used 1/4c of Just Eggs -replacement
- 1/4 cup Pankos Or italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese I used Vegan Violife Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder Or minced garlic
- 14 tsp Onion powder Or minced onion
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- pinch Nutmeg
- Kosher Salt & Pepper To taste
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil Omit and use remaining broth from pasta liquid
- Fresh basil
- Crusted Oregano
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a large oil sprayed 9x9x2 inch deep pan. This is recipe needs a bit more depth than a sheet pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, panko, parmesan cheese, 50% of the mozzarella cheese, garlic, onion, allspice, nutmeg, and salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cook pasta of your choice in the Better Than Boulion, once cook, retain some of the liquid.
- Slice the whole onion.
Putting it all together!
- Layer the pasta on the bottom of the pan.
- Layer the Cherry tomatoes, Onion and Mushroom slices over the pasta.
- Pour a small amt. of remaining liquid from pasta over the veggies.
- Take half the marinara and layer over the veggies/pasta
- Layer the beef mixure over the top.
- Top with the remainder of the marinara and mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake in oven at 375 until bubbles, about 25-30 minutes.
- Once done add Basil/Oregano on top and serve.