Happy Heart Healthy Month! I thought this month of February♥ I would provide a full-on Menu for a day – including sample Breakfasts; Lunches; Dinners and Snacks to set a baseline to planning healthy heart menus going forward.
Heart Health Menu
Breakfast – Egg white vegetable Omelet with 1 slice 21 grain whole grain toast (Preferably Daves Killer Bread if you don’t have a Gluten Allergy).
Lunch – Chickpea Salad with chopped celery, carrots & onions, dressed with a mustard/ low-fat mayo (or Vegan mayo) mixture, placed in a half of Avocado or top of a mixed Green Salad.
Dinner – Butternut Squash, Yellow Split Pea and Sweet Potato Stew pared with a mixed Green Salad and a piece of whole grain bread. OR 6oz piece of grilled Cold water fish of your choice with mixed Green Salad and vegetables.
Snacks – Fresh Hummus & Veggies or piece of fresh fruit of your choice. The key is filling your plate at every meal with a healthy balance of foods filled with whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins such as fish, chicken or plant-based proteins. Keep in mind Dr. Bernstein’s recommendations for healthy, balanced meals, as shown in our photo above.
Breakfast: 75-80% protein (eggs, egg whites, just eggs substitute, shake, oatmeal with protein powder) ~10-15% fruits, ~10% fats (nuts, avocado).
Lunch: 40% veggies, 30% proteins, 10% fruits, 10% quality carbohydrates (grains, quinoa, beans or legumes), and 10% fat flavoring for salads or vegetables.
Dinner: 20% veggies, 40% proteins, 10% fruits, 10% qualified carbohydrates as indicated for lunch meal, 10% fats (olive oil, avocado, etc.) To Healthy Eating and a Heathy Heart! Melissa & Dr. B P.S. Don’t forget to follow me in the Power of 5 Test Kitchen and join in the happenings!
- Like us on our Face Book page
- Follow us on @powerof5testkitchen, @drdavidbernstein
- Tag two of your friends to share this post!
Egg White Omelet with Sliced Tomatoes
- Fry pan
- 4 large Eggs whites, extract yolk Or Egg whites from a carton OR Just Eggs if Vegan
- 1/2 cup Onions Chopped
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms Chopped
- 1/4 cup Sweet Green or Red Peppers Chopped
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning To taste
- 1-2 large Tomato Sliced
- Olive Oil Spray
- 1/4 cup Cheese -Parmesan, Cheddar, or Mozzarella Shredded- your choice or Vegan Cheese
- Heat a non-stick 8 inch skillet over med heat for 2/3 minutes.
- In a bowl, wisk the egg whites with the seasonings of your choice until frothy
- Wisk in the cheese of your choice.
- Saute your vegetables in a separate pan to get a head start on cooking.
- Fold in sauteed vegetables into your mixture.
- Lightly spray your olive oil on the pan and pour in mixture.
- As soon as the edges start to set, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Gently lift the edges and move the pan so the runny liquid moves to the edges from the center to promote even cooking.
- When the top of the omelet is not runny anymore but still a bit wet, carefully flip in half on itself. Press the top with the spatula to insure center is done. You can flip it easier over again to continue cooking.
- Slide out of the pan onto a plate, sprinkle with extra cheese or seasonings.
- Add sliced tomatoes on the side.