This heart-healthy dinner was a winner when I made it last week! I loaded it up with heart-healthy ingredients full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Here are some previously-posted alternative ❤️ heart-healthy meals ❤️ for you to consider as well.
To Healthy Eating and a Healthy Heart,
P.S. Remember to follow me in the Power of 5 Test Kitchen and join in the happenings!
• Like our Facebook Page
• Follow us on Instagram: @powerof5testkitchen and @drdavidbernstein
• Tag two of your friends to share this post!
Heart-Healthy Dinner—Butternut Squash, Split Pea and Sweet Potato Stew
- Large Pot or Slow Cooker
- Knife for Paring
- Knife for Chopping
- 2 medium sweet potatoes About 12 ounces, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces.
- 1 large onion Chopped.
- 1 cup yellow split peas Or you can use green peas or red lentils.
- 2 Tbsp large cloves garlic Finely chopped.
- 1/2 small jalapeño Seeded and thinly sliced.
- 1-1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger Peeled and grated; or use Gourmet Garden Ginger Paste, 1 to 1 conversion.
- 1 medium butternut squash About 1 3/4 lb. total, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2" pieces.
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk Or almond milk if you don't like coconut.
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves Parsley can be used instead.
- 4 cups vegetable broth or Better Than Bullion Adds great flavor!
- In a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, toss together the sweet potato, onion, split peas, garlic, jalapeño, ginger, butternut squash, curry powder, turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Stir in 2 cups of Better than Bouillon vegetable broth and 2 cups of water and cook, covered, until the split peas are tender, about 4 to 5 hours on high or 6 to 7 hours on low. May need additional water and additional time if split peas are not completely done and the stew seems extra thick.
- Twenty minutes before serving, stir in the coconut milk. Ladle the stew into bowls, then top with cilantro or parsley .
- Pair with a green salad and whole-grain bread.