I love a healthy dessert or snack! I made these bars, and they did not disappoint. While they are great for a dessert or snack, I also enjoy them for breakfast as well. They use just four ingredients and are very simple to make. The dark chocolate chips really enhance the flavor of the bar. I definitely recommend that you add them, though you can of course omit them if you are not a dark chocolate fan.
These bars are already vegan, dairy-free, nut-free, and gluten-free, and there is even a paleo option noted in Melissa’s Modifications.
To Healthy Eating!
PS: Be sure to check out my newly-published Power of 5 Test Kitchen Cookbook: Caregiver Edition! Here’s a bit about it: Full of recipes, helpful hints, and the tools you need to promote safe and meaningful engagement for those challenged with an illness. Your kitchen can be a place where fun and health flourish, no matter the challenges you face.
The Power of 5 Test Kitchen Cookbook: Full Edition will release in Fall 2021 with many more time-tested, healthy Power of 5 recipes. There’s even a section for healthy Power of 5 dog treats! Stay tuned.
PPS: Remember to follow me in the Power of 5 Test Kitchen and join in the happenings!
- Like our Facebook Page
- Follow us on Instagram: @powerof5testkitchen and @drdavidbernstein
- Tag two of your friends to share this post!
Banana, Dark Chocolate Oat Bars
- 4 cups Rolled oats Gluten-free.
- 6-7 Bananas
- 1 cup Seed and nut butter NuttZo Butter or peanut butter.
- 1/4-1/2 cup Dark chocolate chips Non-dairy, 70% cacao or greater—the more cacao, the better! Or 80% cacao Ghirardelli.
- Preheat oven to 350º F (or 180º C).
- Line an 8" x 8" (or similar-sized) glass pan with parchment paper.
- Set aside half of the chocolate chips, then put all remaining ingredients into a large bowl. Mix.
- Scoop mixture into the pan and press down firmly. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. You'll see the sides browning and chocolate will melt.
- Enjoy! They are delicious right out of the oven!