This non-dairy Warm Cashew Queso is easy to make and delicious, then served along with Baked Pita Chips right out of the oven, it’s guaranteed to be a fan favorite! I added the Queso to my chic’n tacos this week and it offered just the right Tex Mex flavor.
Once the raw cashews have soaked to the desired softness … It will take 15 -17 minutes for your cashew queso and pita chips to be ready for your table!
To Healthy Cooking and Eating!
P.S. Don’t forget to follow me in the Power of 5 Test Kitchen and join in the happenings!
I am very proud of my Recently Published Power of 5 Test Kitchen Cookbook ~ Caregiver Edition!
” Full of recipes, helpful hints, and the tools you need to promote safe and meaningful engagement for those challenged with an illness, your kitchen can be a place where fun and health flourish, no matter the challenges you face.”
A NEW Power of 5 Test Kitchen Cookbook ~ Full Edition, will be coming out the in Fall of 2022 with many more tested healthy Power of 5 recipes, including a section for Healthy BowWowof5 Dog Treats! Stay tuned!
- Like us on our Facebook page
- Follow us on @powerof5testkitchen, @drdavidbernstein
- Tag two of your friends to share this post
Warm Cashew Queso & Baked Pita Chips
- 3/4 - 1 cup Hot water For a quick soak to soften the cashews, boil them in water on the stove for 5 min or soak overnight if not using a high speed blender.
- 1/2 cup Water To add for smoothness of the Queso during blending. You don't want it too runny ... add more cashews if necessary to be able to pour it.
- 2 cup Raw cashews I use organic, but not necessary. If you are allergic or do not like cashews, you can use raw slivered almonds.
- 1 clove Garlic Chopped or use minced, 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup Nutritional yeast Adds a cheesy flavor ... do not omit.
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Chili powder or use green chilis Increase the amount based on how much heat you like!
- 1/2 tsp Salt Plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp Harissa, chili pepper or hot salsa Or modify Ro-Tel, or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce - plus more for garnish if desired.
- 1 can Diced tomatoes Drain well.
- 4 tbsp Fresh lemon juice Or fresh from lemon (2 small ones)
- Chopped cilantro Optional for garnish over top
Baked Pita Chips
- 4-6 Pitas Each one cut into 8 triangles
- 4 tbsps Olive Oil Or olive oil spray
- 1 - 2 clove Garlic Chopped or use already minced 1/2-1 tsp
- Salt & Pepper I use Everything but the Bagel seasoning
- Soak cashews based on your preferred method ... I've provided several options.
- Drain the cashews then add them to a high speed blender along with water, salt, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and desired spices. Start with less water and blend until creamy ... add more water as necessary. If it gets too thin, add raw cashews to thicken.
- Once well-blended, move to a medium stove top pan, add the tomatoes (and green chilis, if desired) and heat on low temp. Keep stirring until the desired temperature. It may thicken, you can add more water as necessary.
- Taste to see if the flavors are what you desire. The Queso should have lots of flavor and heat! See below for other options.
- Serve with Baked Pita Chips right out of the oven, for an appetizer that warms your tummy!
Baked Pita Chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the olive oil, garlic and seasoning in a bowl.
- Place pita triangles on a sheet pan, covered with parchment paper.
- Brush the olive oil mixture over the pitas. If you are using a spray oil, cover well and sprinkle the seasoning over the top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.