Vegan Jambalaya, Baby! A New Orleans favorite!
Hadn’t made my Jambalaya recipe in a very long time so I thought I would make it in honor of the Super Bowl 🏈🏈 (or perfect for anytime). On cold nights, you can turn up the heat 🔥on this dish! Usually made with shrimp and sausage, mine is all vegan using Tofurky Italian sausage or Field Roast variety of sausage.
- 2-3 Spicy Sausage I used Italian Tofurky
- 1 med Onions Chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic MInced
- 1 large Green bell pepper Chopped
- 2 stalks Celery Thinly sliced
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 tbsp Italian parsley Chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive oil You can omit and use water or vegetable broth
- 28oz can Tomatoes, diced
- 8oz Tomato Sauce
- ¾ cup Brown rice, dry
- 1 Cayenne pepper
- Add oil to a large non-stick sauce pan over medium heat. Sautée onions, garlic, pepper, and celery until onion is translucent
- Add sliced sausage, bay leaf, and cayenne pepper. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and 1 3/4 cups of cold water (I used veggie low sodium broth). Gently simmer covered while stirring occasionally for about 5 min.
- Pour your rice into the pan and stir well, bringing mixture to a boil, then lower heat and simmer covered for about 45 minutes to an hour until the rice is fully cooked and has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Once ready, remove the bay leaf.
- Taste ... add additional heat, garlic powder, or S&P as you wish!