3 Sisters Powerhouse
Imagine a beautiful combination of three powerful foods that have vivid color and are full of fiber, antioxidants and protein. Then layer in dark greens, and you have a perfect combination for a fabulous, nutritional salad for your brain and body.
A staple among the Costa Rican indigenous people and Native Americans, the trio planted near each other complement their growth and enrich the soil too.
The 3 Sisters Salad (and other recipes featuring the 3 sisters) supply a powerhouse of nutrients. Through complex carbohydrates, essential fatty acids, and complementary amino acids, they form a complete protein!
Be sure to add this power packed recipe to your Power of 5 eating menu each week for the health of it!
To Healthy Cooking & Eating for a Power of 5 Life,
3 Sisters Salad
- 2 lbs Butternut squash Cubed (may use winter squash)
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil, optional If not using oil, bake whole squash, seed, then cube.
- 1 15.5oz Black beans, or beans of your choice Drain and rinse with cold water. May use other beans such as cannellini, kidney, pinto, or even green lentils.
- 2 cups Fresh corn kernels 3-4 ears of corn, roasted then cut off the cob
- ½ Small red onion sliced (sweet yellow onions may be used)
- 3 cups Curly kale, or other varieties such as Lacinato modify using Arugula or Spinach
- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- Black and/or cayenne pepper a dash or two, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Squash — Wash whole butternut squash, halve it, and scoop out the seeds (save those for later to roast — delicious). Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes, based on the size of your squash. Cook until golden brown and soft. Once cooled, cut into cubes.
- Corn — cook the corn on the cob: Boil in 8qt pot for 5-7 min. If you are using canned corn, drain and rinse.
- Beans — Rinse and drain well. Pat dry to remove excess liquid.
- Red onion – Slice thinly.
- Gently toss together the beans, corn, onion, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and cubed squash in a large bowl; cover and chill 2 to 3 hours.
- Kale/Greens — Layer greens of your choice on the bottom of serving bowls, place tossed mixture on top, and enjoy!
- For an added kick (and health benefit) — sprinkle a dash of black and cayenne pepper onto your serving and give it an easy toss.