This week I made homemade applesauce with strawberries, my husband raved it was “award winning“…I’m not sure about that, but it was delicious! Try it and see what you think!
Applesauce may often be forgotten as a side or snack. There are many of varieties of apples and therefore tastes may vary. Additionally there are options of fruits that can be added based on your tastes as well as spices other than or in addition to cinnamon such as nutmeg or allspice. My mother-in-law use to add plums and strawberries to her apples when cooking applesauce. Be creative!
To healthy eating,
Homemade Applesauce with Strawberries
- 4-6 medium Organic Apples cored and cut in chunks
- 8-10 oz pkg Organic frozen whole Strawberries
- 1/2 cups water
- 1-2 tsp lite agave sweetener or to taste
- 2 tsp cinnamon or to taste
- walnuts or almonds optional
- Wash, core and cut apples into chunks. I leave the skin on, you may remove when you are preparing the apples if you wish.
- Pour the water in a medium pan and bring to a boil. Throw the apples in and when it begins to boil again, reduce the heat, cover and let cook. Check often and stir.
- When apples are almost done, add strawberries and continue to cook covered for 6-8 minutes until all fruits are soft and well blended.
- Add agave ( or your choice of sweetener), spices and stir well into applesauce.
- Remove from heat and keep covered so the agave and cinnamon can absorbed and blend with the fruits.
- Refrigerate once cooled. Enjoy!