Vegetable stuffing is one of my favorite holiday foods! With Thanksgiving a not so distant memory, our December holiday meals often bear a similarity. Therefore, add a flavorful stuffing to accompany any holiday meal.
Melissa's Vegetable Stuffing
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil or canola, vegetable oils OR vegan butter
- 1 12 oz Broccoli, chopped you can add chopped zucchini & green beans if you wish
- 1 10 oz Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 large Onions, chopped
- 1 32 oz vegetable broth you may not use all of this but keeps in the fridge well for future dishes.
- 1/2 to 1 loaf Whole grain bread broken up into small pieces
- 4-8 oz bag Herbed Seasoned Bread Stuffing Like Pepperidge Farms or like brands
- to taste Salt and pepper
- to taste garlic powder
- Walnuts or chestnuts optional
- Saute chopped onions, broccoli and other vegetables (except mushrooms) in oil on the stove in a large pan med heat until nearly cooked. Then add mushrooms. Continue to cook to prevent sticking and over cooking.
- In a separate large bowl, place seasoned bread stuffing and bread. Take a cup of boiling water, pour over and mix together. Add vegetable broth until mixture is well blended and moist (not wet) if you over do the liquid you can always add more packaged stuffing or bread.
- Fold in the vegetable mixture to the bread mixture, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.