My girlfriend Paula made this recipe at our bookclub, the recipe is from a plant-based cookbook. We all went GooGoo over it and I have made it many times – it is super delicious!
A hardy, full-bodied soup full of flavor and nutrients! It is very easy to prepare. The coconut, peanut and curry combination gives a very exotic flavor. Fear not, if you don’t like coconut (like me) or are allergic to peanuts, I have recipe adaptations just for you!
Creamy African Stew
- 2 onions sliced into half rings
- 1 Carrot diced
- 3 Stalks Celery diced
- 2 Sweet potatoes cut into 1/2 cubes
- 1 cup vegetable stock low-sodium
- 1 28oz can Diced tomatoes use entire can with juices
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (lite) Substitute Coconut Milk with Almond Milk
- 1/3 cups Peanut butter you can use Organic PB Fit Powder OR *Substitute with Almond or Cashew butters
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1 15 oz can Chickpeas rinsed and drained**
- 2 cups Spinach, frozen chopped - you can use fresh spinach as well.
- Add all the ingredients in a large pot and cook at high heat until bubbly, 10-15 minutes
- Turn down the heat and simmer for another 30-45 minutes.