Enjoy this flavorful lasagna made with sliced, roasted eggplant to replace lasagna noodles, plus delicious mushroom sauce and macadamia nuts instead of ricotta cheese. This is a low-cal, gluten-free dinner. You can also use roasted zucchini as an additional layer.
Add a fresh salad and you have a perfect meal! There are some alternatives, as I note by the ingredients or under the Cooks Notes section.
Taste Vegan Lasagne
Vegetables & Vegan Ricotta
- 3 medium Eggplants Sliced lengthwise, leaving skin on. Zucchini may be used as well as layers. If use cooks same as Eggplant.
- 2 1/2 cups Raw Macadamia nuts Soaked for 1-2 hrs before making the Ricotta. You may also substitute with Raw Cashew nuts.
- 1/3 pinch of each Sea Salt & Pepper
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3-3/4 cup water
- 4 tbsp Bragg Nutritional Yeast add more if needed to taste
- 3 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning If you haven't tried this...your in for a big surprise! The best overall
- Crushed oregano
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil or Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Bragg liquid aminos Substitute Tamari or Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seed optional
- 1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes I add 1/2 tsp as I like spice!
- 8 oz pkg mushrooms sliced/chopped, saute in oil
- 2 24 oz Jars Marinara sauce organic and gluten-free
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese Optional to top it all off!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (176 C). Prep 2 baking sheet with parchment paper coated with olive oil spray.
- Slice eggplants (and Zucchini if you wish) lengthwise. Season with Everything seasoning, oregano. Cook 15' and then flip for another 15' until well browned and soft inside.
- In the meantime while eggplant is cooking, begin to prepare the sauce. Saute chopped mushrooms in on high with a little oil (1 tbsp) until well done, about 5 minutes
- Add marinara sauce and cook for 5-8 min on lower heat. Add salt & pepper to taste as well as red pepper flakes for a little heat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Time to make the Cheese! Add the presoaked macadamia nuts to your food processor and on high speed adding lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, sea salt, blending, scrapping down on side until you get to the right consistency.
- Start with 1/3 c water, then add more if need to get the right consistency to spread. You're looking for a spreadable soft cheese consistency.
- Add flavoring to taste as needed, more garlic powder or nutritional yeast for a more cheesy flavor.
- Begin the Assembly ... in a large baking dish (9x13 or similar size), lightly greased olive oil spray or small amt. of avocado oil
- Start with thin layer of Marinara sauce, then layer eggplant slices across the top.
- Next comes the yummy vegan ricotta cheese, spread with a spoon across the top of the eggplant. Then layer of sauce, eggplant, cheese, repeat until you top off with sauce.
- Sprinkle with Vegan Parmesan Cheese. I had left over Ricotta, so I used as the last topping!
- Bake in the center of the oven at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and slightly brown especially around the edges.
- Once out of the oven, let cool for 5-10 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil & oregano. Sprinkle with more Vegan Parmesan Cheese, if desired.