“Jackfruit,” you ask? Jackfruit is the largest tree-borne fruit, sometimes weighing more than 100 lbs.! With its meaty texture, it has been eaten in India for centuries as a staple. It is a great meat substitute (vegan or vegetarian alternative to pulled-pork or beef) that is low in calories and high in antioxidants. It is rich in dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins (B-12, C, Potassium & Magnesium) and free from saturated fats or cholesterol. Jackfruit is closely related to figs, mulberries
Notable to Mention: In my reading about Jackfruit, several articles mentioning a higher likelihood of a Jackfruit allergy if someone has birch pollen or latex allergy.
Hearty Jackfruit BBQ Soup
- 1 large Onion Chopped
- 1 large Sweet Potato
- 2 medium Zucchini Washed and sliced
- 3 cups Kale and/or Spinach Cleaned, trimmed kale (or not)
- 1 10 oz Pkg BBQ Jackfruit The Jackfruit Company. You can also buy this in a can, trim and add your own BBQ sauce, but this is easier!
- 1 15.5oz can Black Beans Drain well
- 1 15.5 oz can Butter Beans Drain well
- 1 15.5 oz can Tomato sauce
- 1 15.5 oz can Corn Optional
- 1 32 oz box Organic Vegetable Broth
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp Braggs Nutritional Yeast
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper Add more if you like spicy foods!
- 1/8 tsp ground turmeric Add more to taste
- Black pepper To taste
- Chop onions and sweet potatoes, large chunks are okay. Slice Zucchini other vegetables.
- Add a small amount of the vegetable broth in a large 8 quart soup pot with the onions and sweet potatoes and saute for 5-10 minutes to start them cooking.
- Add tomato sauce, the rest of the broth and 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Add seasonings, lower heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add additional seasonings to taste!