My Italian Sausage (plant-based for Dr. B & Me) sauce is mixed with fresh vegetables, chopped tomatoe, sauce and blended with the right seasonings.
The dish makes several meals for the week and can be eaten over pasta of your choice, spaghetti squash or I like to put in over butternut squash. The sweetness of the butternut squash is a delicious balance with the spices of the sauce.
Italian Sausage Vegetable Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 large Sweet Onion Chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes whole or sliced in half
- 1 can Artichokes hearts From a can or Jar (in water) sliced
- 1 can Tomato sauce
- 3 sausages Italian sausages I use plant-based tofurkey brand, but feel free to use the sausage of your choice.
- 1 can Diced tomatoes I like the organic brand with low/no salt with onion/garlic seasoning
- 1-2 tbsp garlic To taste
- 1 tbsp Oregano To taste
- 2-3 tbsp Fresh basil chopped, to taste
- 1/2 pkg Organic Angel hair pasta Or pasta of your choice; 1-2c of Spaghetti squash or Butternut squash.
- Parmesan cheese Of your choice-Reg or Vegan
- Chop onions and sauce them in a tsp of oil olive or a little water until brown.
- Add tomatoes, artichokes and mushrooms while you continue to saute.
- Add chopped canned tomatoes and sausage to saute together.
- add all rest of ingredient plus the spices and simmer on low heat for 30-45 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your pasta as directed on the package.
- If you choose to use Butternut Squash, once cleaned it comes with its own bowl to hold the delicious Italian Sausage Spaghetti Sauce!