There’s nothing like a delicious, homemade burger with whole grains, beans and vegetables. Since beets are a great superfood, they are a terrific ingredient. When you add in the chickpeas and brown rice, you create a tasty burger!
Filled with heart-healthy nutrition, the burger includes essential vitamins, minerals and plant compounds with beneficial medicinal properties.
You can opt to serve your burger over a bed of lettuce or on a whole grain bun with all the fixings. You’ll be surprised how fulfilling and delicious this burger is.
To Healthy Eating!
Burger with Roasted Beets
- 3 1/2 -4 cups beets, roasted Peeled and chopped, once baked it will be about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup brown rice Cooked as directed on the stovetop
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas Drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves Minced
- 1 clove garlic Minced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- olive oil Optional
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic Minced, add more if you like it very garlicky as we do!
- 1/2 lemon squeezed lemon juice
- 1-1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme Mince
- 2-5 Tbsp water As needed depending how thick or thin you like it.
- pinch salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the diced beets onto a large sheetpan. You can opt to drizzle the beets with a little bit of olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Roast beets for about 40-45 minutes, until they are cooked through. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Cook brown rice on the stovetop as directed on package, usually 1c rice to 2c boiling water. Cook for 45 minutes. Fluff with a fork when done.
- In a food processor, add the beets, chickpeas, brown rice, thyme, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Process ingredients for about 15-30 seconds until everything is mixed together. Don't over process, you don't want a mushy paste.
- Form the mixture into patties. You will get about 6-8 depending on how big you make them.
- Place patties on a large baking sheet lined with silicon baking mats or parchment paper. Place baking sheet in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. This will make it easier for you to handle them when cooking.
- To cook beet burgers, place a large pan over medium heat on a non-stick pan. If you wish, you can lightly coat the pan with olive oil.
- Once the pan is hot, add the beet burgers and cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Add all ingredients into a blender or a medium sized bowl. Mix until combined.