It’s strawberry season in Florida! We have the wonderful Strawberry Festival 2020 in Plant City, Florida …11 days of celebrating the harvest of the strawberries! Each year, over 500,000 visitors enjoy entertainment, livestock shows, rides, exhibits of commerce, and of course its strawberry shortcake.
I have never been a huge fan of strawberry shortcake when I was young, but love strawberries and my healthy version of strawberry shortcake is freshly cut sweet strawberries over my delicious Walnut Raisin Banana Bread that uses applesauce and 100% pure maple syrup to make this a moist and delicious breakfast, a dessert bread, or to eat anytime!
Fresh Strawberries with Raisin Walnut Banana Bread
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour Can use 1c whole wheat & 1c oat flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup Very ripe bananas 2-3 bananas, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Applesauce- unsweetened
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Add-Ins Raisins, walnuts You can also add in other nuts of your choice, chocolate chips (vegans use non-dairy chips)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line your loaf pan with parchment paper or use non-stick pans.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, combine bananas, maple syrup, water, applesauce, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Fold in the raisins and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the lined pans (or divide into reg or mini muffin pans). I chose to make two smaller breads.
- Bake the loaf for 30 minutes or 13-18 minutes for the muffins, until golden brown. I baked the 2 loaves for 20 minutes.
- Add strawberries on top!