This homemade soup is easy and light. It also stores well, so you can enjoy all week long. Remember that cabbage diet that was the weight loss craze years ago? This reminds me of that soup, but more satisfying and meaty. I took the original recipe and made it vegan, and it was delicious! Italian Sausage, Cabbage and Vegetable Soup is a great soup to make on a Sunday and eat throughout the week for lunch.
Because of the high fiber and tons of vegetables, this will help you stay on your healthy eating track!
Italian Sausage, Cabbage and Vegetable Soup
- 1-1/2 Pound Italian Sausage I used Italian Tofurky sausage, sliced in rounds then cut in quarters. You can also use crumbles.
- 1 Medium Onion Halved and sliced
- 2 tsp Garlic Minced
- 4 Medium Carrots Sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 Head Cabbage Core removed and shredded
- 3 Large Tomatoes OR 1 15-oz. can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Ground Paprika
- 8 Cups Vegetable Broth You can substitute chicken broth if you'd like.
- Basil Leaves Garnish
- Brown the sausage at the bottom of a large soup pot over medium-high heat, breaking up into small pieces as it browns.
- Remove from pot and set aside, leaving the oil from the sausage in the pot.
- Add onions, garlic and carrots to the pot with hot oil (if there is any from the Tofurky sausage ... if not add a little veggie broth to cook raw vegetables).
- Add cabbage and tomatoes. Continue to cook, stirring often for about 5 min.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients and bring soup to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 20-30 minutes.