Vegetarian chili of all varieties has always been a family favorite. There’s nothing like a recipe full of protein, fiber, and beneficial spices. However, some may prefer not to eat chili as the beans may bring on intestinal discomfort.
Because of the tremendous benefits, though, I encourage you give ’em another chance!
Here are 5 things you can do to help reduce the less-than-desirable effects (gas & bloating) of beans in your diet …
- Go slow — Add beans into your diet slowly. Start with just a few tablespoons and build up to more.
- Soak and rinse beans well (4-6 hrs.) before you cook them. If you use canned beans, rinse them even more.
- Cook the beans until they are very soft.
- Chew — Eat slowly and chew each bite well.
- Add the following spices to reduce gas: ginger, fennel, cumin, chili powder, garlic.
To Healthy Eating!
Healthy Vegetarian (No-Bloat) Chili
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 3/4 cups Tomato Purée
- 2 Bell Peppers
- 1 med Sweet Potato Or pumpkin.
- 2 cans Kidney beans Or white beans.
- 3 cans Diced tomatoes
- 1 can Corn
- 1 cups Red Lentil, dry
- 2 cups water I replace water with vegetable broth.
- 1 Chili Use two chilies if you like it hot, or 1/2 tsp. chili flakes.
- 1/4 cup Dark Chocolate
Pick and Choose from these No-Bloat Spices
- 1 tsp Fennel
- 1 Tbsp cumin Ground.
- 1 tsp Ginger
Add Optional Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil Omit if Vegan; use veggie broth or water.
- Sea Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Raw honey Omit if Vegan.
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar Or use balsamic vinegar instead.
- large dollop Yogurt for topping Regular or Vegan
- Dark Chocolate Sprinkle more on top.
- Chop the onions, garlic & veggies. Sauté in a large pot or dutch oven, using a little vegetable broth (or water).
- Sauté for a few minutes and add the spices of your choice ... I added cumin, paprika and chili flakes. Add tomato purée. You will start smelling the fragrance of the spices.
- Add kidney beans, corn, tomatoes, lentils and two cups of water.
- Let everything simmer for 30-45 minutes. Stir frequently. Add more water if necessary. Lentils may take a little more time to cook.
- While the chili cooks, roughly chop the dark chocolate. Add chopped chocolate to chili along with sea salt and pepper. Add other optional items if you wish.
- Garnish with more chopped chocolate and a dollop of yogurt, parsley or cilantro.