I had phyllo dough in my freezer and thought about recipes to prepare and dishes I had eaten in the past using phyllo dough. I love the light airiness of the delicate sheets. My creative juices started flowing, and now I have made several recipes using phyllo dough. I’ve found it makes a gourmet meal that is easy and very delicious!
My first recipe was Mediterranean phyllo dough wrap. The second one was like an Italian stromboli or calzone (very good, but I prefer the outer layer to be pizza dough).
Hope you will try to prepare a meal using phyllo dough. It is very delicate, so once you get the hang of how to use it, it’s easy to wrap around a veggie sauté with cheese.
To Healthy Eating!
Mediterranean Phyllo Dough Wraps
- 1 medium Onion Chopped.
- 8 oz mushrooms Chopped into medium-sized pieces.
- 2 Veggie Sausage Field Roast Sage Apple flavor, sliced and quartered .
- 12 oz Kale or Spinach Chopped, fresh or frozen.
- 3 Tbsp garlic Minced, or more to taste.
- 8 oz Feta Cheese Vegan or original; sliced or crumbled.
- Salt & Pepper To taste.
- 8 Sheets Phyllo Dough
- 3 Tbsp Egg White wash Brush egg whites on top of phyllo dough. I use Just Eggs.
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning Sprinkled on top, after brushing with egg whites.
- Prepare all the vegetables for sauté.
- Sauté first five ingredients in a large pan on the stovetop. Cook onions first, then add other ingredients. Sauté on medium heat until all ingredients are blended nicely and cooked.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If frozen, allow dough to defrost 2-4 hours in refrigerator.
- Place a layer of parchment paper sprayed with olive oil cooking spray on a cookie sheet with a one-inch lip.
- Open phyllo dough sheets carefully. Place 3-4 sheets on the parchment paper and spray with olive oil spray. (Cover remaining sheets with a clean damp kitchen towel to keep moist while you are working on your first wrap.)
Putting it all together!
- Once you have the phyllo dough placed on the cookie sheet, you are ready to spread cheese across the dough (amount is your choice).
- Add 1/3 of the sauté off-center toward the bottom half of the dough so you have plenty of room to roll up.
- Begin to wrap! Carefully bring the bottom up and over the sauté, tucking in the left and right sides of the dough as you roll.
- With a pastry brush, do an egg white (or Just Egg) wash on top of the wrapped sauté. Sprinkle with Everything But the Bagel seasoning and start another roll.
- This should make 3-4 large wraps.
- Once all wraps are made, bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.