Appetizers & Starters
For this recipe, I use a tube of store-bought Ancient Harvest polenta. Polenta is most often made from cornmeal. It is a gluten-free food that is a good source of fiber and protein and is low in fat. When sliced and grilled, it makes a GREAT foundation upon which you can layer vegetables, marinara sauce and cheese over. It is an easy-to-make appetizer with so many options for dressing.
What Is Polenta?
I’ve actually learned polenta is a full dish, NOT just an ingredient, from northern Italy. The term “polenta” often refers to a dish resembling porridge. Now we make it from cornmeal which has been coarsely ground.
Polenta has also been made with farro, chestnuts, millet, spelt, or chickpeas. I have personally only cooked with and eaten cornmeal polenta.
The Ancient Harvest brand comes in several flavors: Traditional Italian and Sun-dried Tomato and Garlic.
To Healthy Eating!
Roasted Polenta Topped with Mushrooms and Scallions
- 2 18.1 oz roll Polenta Cut into 1/2" slices.
- 1-2 lbs Gourmet mushrooms An assortment oyster, cremini & shiitake mushrooms. Cut into thick slices.
- 2 Scallions Thinly sliced.
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 oz Fontina Cheese Or similar.
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup Sherry vinegar
- Kosher Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 cup Tomato sauce I like the organic brands with added basil if I am using store bought
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice the polenta into 1/2-inch slices or 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- Brush both sides lightly with olive oil and place on a rimmed baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Roast until golden brown and warmed through, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add mushrooms. Stir often until tender and slightly browned, about 12 minutes.
- Add cut shallots, vinegar, salt, and red pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.
- Place a teaspoon of tomato sauce on each slice of roasted polenta.
- Divide mushroom mixture and spoon over the tomato sauce.
- Top with cheese and continue to roast in the oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.