I previously posted this recipe in February as part of our healthy snacking options for heart health month! But this month, I decided hummus deserves its own standalone recipe. You’ll see why once you enjoy it as well.
There is a lot of pre-made hummus available in grocery stores. Pre-made hummus is also delicious, but it is important to beware of added sugar or other additives you may not want included in your diet. Also, read labels if you shop for pre-made hummus and be cautious of portion sizes. And, of course, even if you make your own hummus, you’ll want to be mindful of portion sizes as well.
To Healthy Eating!
P.S. Remember to follow me in the Power of 5 Test Kitchen and join in the happenings!
- Like our Facebook Page
- Follow us on Instagram: @powerof5testkitchen and @drdavidbernstein
- Tag two of your friends to share this post!
Easy Homemade Hummus
- 1 - 15 oz. Can chickpeas
- 2 cloves Garlic Peeled and minced.
- 1 Tbsp. Tahini
- ¼ cup Lemon juice Fresh-squeezed.
- ¼ tsp. Cumin
- 2 Tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. Water As needed for consistency.
- Dash of paprika for serving
- Drain can of chickpeas. Rinse well with cold water, then set aside.
- Put tahini and lemon juice in a food processor (or high-powered blender). Blend for one minute.
- Scrape sides and bottom of the food processor, then process for another 30 seconds.
- Add olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and ½ tsp. of salt to the tahini and lemon juice. Continue to blend until creamy.
- Add half the drained chickpeas to the mixture. Blend well on low speed, then add the rest of the chickpeas. Blend again, adding water a little at a time as needed to reach a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of paprika.