My 4 Bean Chili with Jackfruit knocked my socks off! Not only from the heat of the spices, but the sweet of the sweet potato made this recipe my favorite iteration so far! A perfect recipe for these cold winter days! Another great recipe as you plan your Super Bowl LVI menu this month!
Beans and Legumes are full of fiber, protein and high in minerals. They are low in fat and sodium and full of slow-burning complex carbohydrates that help us feel fuller sooner and longer.
Eating beans and legumes as part of a heart healthy diet and lifestyle may help to reduce your blood cholesterol, a leading cause of heart disease.
Enjoy this Chili recipe this month as we celebrate eating for our hearts health this month!
To Healthy Cooking & Eating,
P.S. Don’t forget to follow me in the Power of 5 Test Kitchen and join in the happenings!
I am very proud of my Newly Published Power of 5 Test Kitchen Cookbook ~ Caregiver Edition!
” Full of recipes, helpful hints, and the tools you need to promote safe and meaningful engagement for those with those challenged with an illness.Your kitchen can be a place where fun and health flourish, no matter the challenges you face.”
A second Power of 5 Test Kitchen Cookbook ~ Full Edition, will be coming out the in Fall of 2022 with many more tested healthy Power of 5 recipes, even a chapter with healthy Power of 5 Dog Treats—#BowWowof5! Stay tuned!
- Like us on our Face Book page
- Follow us on @powerof5testkitchen, @drdavidbernstein
- Tag two of your friends to share this post!
4 Bean Chili with Jackfruit
- 1 large Onion Chopped medium chunks
- 1 Med Sweet Potato Chopped in chunks with skin on
- 2 14oz cans Organic or Fresh Tomatoes Diced
- 2 32 oz Organic Vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 15oz cans Organic Trio Beans (Kidney, Pinto, Black Beans) Make your own with your choice of beans!
- 1 15 oz can Organic Chickpeas Or make fresh
- 1 ½ cup Carrots Diced, or you can used already shredded carrots
- 1 14oz Organic Jackfruit Rinse well and shred as you add to other ingredients
- 1-2+ tbsp Garlic, minced To taste
- 1+ tsp Black pepper To taste
- 1+ tsp Red pepper Increase/decrease based on the amount of heat you want
- 1+ tsp Chili power of red chili sauce To taste
- ¼ -½ cup Sour cream Dairy or non-dairy, to taste
- Prepare/chop the onion, sweet potato, and carrots; put in a large soup pot; sauté with garlic and ¼ -½ cup of the veggie broth for 5-8 min. Stir constantly. Add more broth if needed.
- Drain all the canned items well with cold water and add all the other ingredients to the pot.
- Cook on Low to Med heat…simmer until onions & sweet potato are soft. Stir occasionally. Should be ready in about 45 min.
- After 40 - 45 min, taste to be sure all veggies are cooked (do not overcook as beans may get mushy) and the flavors are as you like them. Add additional heat or other spices as you wish.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream!