The month of March has many meaningful events. For basketball fans it’s following March Madness, for others, celebrating St. Patrick’s Day is a day they look forward to. In our family, we celebrate Birthdays and our Anniversary.
In the Power of 5 Test Kitchen, we are starting a new tradition this month… healthy treats for the furry four-legged friends we love so much!
With three furry grandsons, Dexter, Murray and Stewart, plus our furry great nephew Lenny (pictured here), I made healthy dog treats with them in mind!
Our furry loved ones deserve tasty, wholesome treats made with natural ingredients that promote health and wellness. These healthy dog treats have no additives or preservatives, just organic ingredients.
So I am proud to introduce Melissa’s “BowWow of 5” Dog Treats straight from the Power of 5 Test Kitchen!
Healthy Dog Treats
Healthy dog treats are easy to make in your kitchen. I’ll show you with this first recipe how easy it is. So give this recipe a try and stay tuned to my Instagram account @powerof5testkitchen to see cute furry faces enjoying the BowWow of 5 dog treats!
To Healthy Cooking and Eating, and Loving up our Pups!
P.S. Don’t forget to follow me in the Power of 5 Test Kitchen and sign up for deliciousness delivered right to your mailbox.
I am very proud of my Newly Published Power of 5 Test Kitchen Cookbook ~ Caregiver Edition!
“Full of recipes, helpful hints, and the tools you need to promote safe and meaningful engagement for those challenged with an illness, your kitchen can be a place where food, fun and health flourish, no matter the challenges you face.”
A second more comprehensive cookbook – Power of 5 Test Kitchen Cookbook ~ Full Edition, will be coming out in the fall of 2022 with many more tested healthy Power of 5 recipes. Additionally, a chapter devoted to the health and wellness of your dog, BowWow of 5 dog treat recipes!
- Like us on our Facebook page.
- Follow us on Instagram: @powerof5testkitchen, @drdavidbernstein
- Tag two of your friends to share this post!
Healthy to the Bone Treats
- 2 3/4 cup Whole wheat flour Or use ground regular rolled oats; OR Split the flour and oats 50-50 to make the full amount.
- 1 cup Wheat germ
- 1/2 cup Ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Organic, pureed
- 3 med Eggs
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Applesauce, unsweetened Alternate, use a banana
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, if you do not have parchment paper use non-stick cookie sheets or spray with cooking spray.
- Place all the dry goods in a large bowl and blend with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients - eggs, olive oil, banana (or applesauce), pumpkin, and honey until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly blended. Use your hands to knead a bit and form a ball. If too sticky, knead a bit more (2-3 Tbsps) flour into the dough or put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- On floured parchment paper, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Use dog bone cookie cutters and place them on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until treats are well-browned.
- Allow to cool completely before letting your pup have one.