Holidays are the time when I always return to this recipe. It’s a fan favorite at any gathering, especially with my kids. There are many variations of Mock (meaning without) Chicken Liver recipes. I have tried many and the favorite is still our original family recipe from my uncle Howard. I always think of him when I make this tasty recipe. This one uses cooked canned peas, but I have friends who have recipes with green beans, chickpeas and mushrooms.
Mock Chicken Liver Pate
- 1 large can cooked Peas
- 1 tbsp Oil to sauté the onions
- 2 large onions chopped
- 1/2 cup Walnuts chopped
- 3 hard boiled Eggs Use 1 egg yoke and whites from the eggs. Omit if you are vegan.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Saute onions in the small amount of oil until brown and crisp.
- In food processor, chop peas, walnuts and eggs *Do not puree - leave mixture somewhat grainy.
- Add onions with a bit of the oil
- Blend a few seconds until the mixture is well blended but you can still see a few flecks of egg white (no worries about this if you omitted the eggs) and brown onions.