I have always been a big quiche lover … great for breakfast, brunch or really any meal! Add a fresh green salad and fruit and you have a delicious meal that’s full of flavor. Over the years we have become more health conscious and shy away from heavy, fat-laden foods, as delicious as they may taste! I make this reduced-fat quiche that is just as delicious.
For the crust … there are many options there too! You can buy organic, already-made pie crusts or make your own, which is surprisingly not difficult if you haven’t tried it. I’ll provide the recipe if you want to give it a try!
There are so many varieties to make. I will give you my two favorites traditional recipes then provide lots of alternatives under the Melissa’s Modification section at the bottom of the recipe for Vegetarian (use eggs) and Vegan options.
Spinach & Feta Quiche
Quiche Filling Ingredients
- 4 Tbs Minced shallots or white of green onion
- 2 Tbs Butter or Margerine Or use Earth Balance Vegan olive oil butter
- 1 10 oz. pkg. Spinach, frozen Or fresh spinach, cooked and drained well
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper Or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg Or to taste
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese, diced or crumbled Ricotta or Dry Cottage Cheese OR Non-Dairy Violife Just Like Feta (delicious)
- 3 Eggs *Vegan option see under Melissa's Modifications below
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream Or use a lighter cream to reduce fat
- 1/4 cup Shredded Swiss Cheese Or use a reduced fat swiss cheese
- 9 inche Pastry Shell *You can make your own crust – See Melissa's Modifications below.
- cherry tomatoes Optional
Melissa's Modification – Making your own crust
- 2 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 12 Tbs Earth Balance Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/2 cup Cold water
Melissa's Modifications – Vegan Filling Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups Chickpea Flour May be called Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Pepper
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sauté the shallots or onions in butter or like.
- Add spinach and stir over a moderate heat for a few minutes to evaporate all the water.
- Remove from heat, add salt, pepper, nutmeg and cheese of your choice.
- Beat the eggs and cream together until its nicely blended
- Stir in spinach mixture & swiss cheese pour into pastry shell.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm.
- Makes 2 9-inch quiche crusts.
- Add flour, butter and cold water in a bowl and blend with pastry blender.
- Blend until well mixed, use your hands to kneed and form a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge 1-2 hours.
- Roll out on pastry board using flour to prevent sticking until 2" bigger than pie pan or tart pan.
- Set aside and then add your filling. Bake until firm.