It’s February 2020 and, yes, we celebrate those we love on Valentine’s Day, but more importantly it is American Heart Month! Our hearts are vital organs which need care and feeding with heart healthy recipes every day to keep them strong and healthy! The recipes this month I will provide recipes with foods that are heart healthy.
As I grew up, my mother would always make a warm bowl of tomato soup for our family. It feels like home to me. She added rice to make it more of a meal.
Tomato-based soups are a popular styles of soups, and they can be varied in numerous ways with the addition of grains, beans, or your favorite seasonal vegetables.
This delicious tomato soup was easy to prepare with freshest ingredients. Tomato, red pepper, onions, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper are blended with an immersion handheld blender and voila!
Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 medium yellow onions coarsely chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes coarsely chopped, about 3 -4 medium
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup basil chiffonade
- In large saucepan on medium to high heat, add the onions and peppers, moving around the pan allowing the sugars to be released until the onions are slightly golden and translucent, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water or vegetable stock to deglaze pan and pick up those sugars to caramelize onions.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another minute, then add the tomatoes. Lower the heat to a low-medium heat and cook covered, for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender with a tight-fitting lid, covered with a towel.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with the basil.