It is hard to believe it is June already! One great way to start summer is with healthy salads. We enjoy them often. This month, we’ll be celebrating salads as each of my recipes will focus on fresh and healthy salads you are sure to enjoy.
My first salad this month uses a base of baby yellow roasted potatoes. We add chickpeas, red onions, and other vegetables to it, then blend everything together with a flavorful tahini mayo-mustard dressing.
To Healthy Eating,
PS: Be sure to check out my newly-published Power of 5 Test Kitchen Cookbook: Caregiver Edition! Here’s a bit about it: Full of recipes, helpful hints, and the tools you need to promote safe and meaningful engagement for those challenged with an illness. Your kitchen can be a place where fun and health flourish, no matter the challenges you face.
The Power of 5 Test Kitchen Cookbook: Full Edition will release in Fall 2021 with many more time-tested, healthy Power of 5 recipes. There’s even a section for healthy Power of 5 dog treats! Stay tuned.
PPS: Remember to follow me in the Power of 5 Test Kitchen and join in the happenings!
- Like our Facebook Page
- Follow us on Instagram: @powerof5testkitchen and @drdavidbernstein
- Tag two of your friends to share this post!
Baby Potato, Chickpea and Vegetable Salad
- 24 oz. Baby Yellow Potatoes I used "Melissa" brand organic potatoes.
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil If you don't eat oil, use balsamic vinegar instead.
- 1/2 Red Onion Cut in half, soak in water.
- 1 cup Artichokes Chopped.
- Fresh Rosemary To taste.
- 1/4 cup Vegan Mayo Or regular, if you prefer.
- 1-2 Tbsp Mustard Spicy brown or dijon. I love mustard!
- 2 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Capers Optional.
- 2 tsp Tahini
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Dill Finely-chopped.
- 15 oz. Chickpeas Canned, or use other beans of your choice.
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Toss sliced potatoes with olive oil and rosemary until fully coated. Evenly place them on the baking sheet so they do not touch. Sprinkle a little pink Himalayan salt over the top and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, peel then onion then slice in two. Let the halves rest in a bowl of water(this reduces the intensity of the onions).
- Chop the artichoke hearts in halves.
- Prepare the "Delicious Sauce": In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard of your choice, tahini, maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, and dill. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are done roasting, prepare the red onions. Remove the halves from water and finely chop.
- Transfer the chickpeas, artichokes, potatoes, onions, and dressing into a large bowl.
- Pour the delicious prepared sauce over the vegetables and mix until the veggies are well covered. Salt and pepper to taste.